Sunday, April 1, 2012

AfterLunch = Eternity

I work a wide variety of shifts, with start times as early as 4 a.m. and as late as 3 p.m., but I always think of my midshift break as "lunch" whether it occurs at 8 a.m. or 7 p.m. or any time in between. The problem comes in the portion of the day I like to call AfterLunch. This segment of my day seems to last for an eternity. Not that I'm being all that productive in this little pocket of purgatory, quite the opposite. It seems like any task I undertake is doomed to be interrupted to the point of negative progress. Plus, all time measuring instruments seem to slow down or reverse. If it feels, subjectively, like I've spent 15 minutes answering questions about someone else's job or department, then the clock will tell me that only 3 minutes have passed.

3 comments:

  1. It is a well known fact that clocks slow down after "lunch". As a former shift worker I too have eaten lunch at all hours of the day! 3.00 am might be my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. time flies when you're having fun, but slows down when you want it to speed up:)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that phenomenon! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month. My alphabet is at myqualityday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete